Wednesday, May 25, 2016

WONDROUS THING: All the world is a very narrow bridge (so don't be a jackass)

There is a new piece of exercise equipment at my gym. It's a step climber with a big screen that allows me to go on a virtual hike through some of our nation’s beautiful National Parks at the same time that I am working out.  I step and step and step, while on my screen I see a hiker’s view of the trail ahead. 

So far I’ve "hiked" trails in the Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, and Zion National Park.

However, it was the hike up to Angels Landing in Zion that caught my particular attention. It ran along a very narrow ridge with ridiculously steep drops on either side. Even from the safety of the gym the view was dizzying and a bit frightening. Check it out for yourself by clicking here

At first, I was going to quote Rabbi Nachman’s famous statement "All the world is a very narrow bridge and the main thing is to not be afraid."  I considered waxing poetically on how our lives are surrounded by metaphorical drops and chasms on all sides and yet still we must always push fearlessly onwards.

Then I read that over the past 15 years, eight hikers have tragically fallen to their deaths while hiking Angels Landing. That's a lot. So, instead, allow me to wax poetically on this: "All the world is a very narrow bridge and the main thing is to not be stupid."

Life can be perilous enough without our bad choices making things worse. 

So hike up to Angels Landing if you have an excellent sense of balance and don't mind walking on a 2 foot wide ledge with a 1,200 foot high cliff next to you. 

Text all you want, but for God’s sake – and for the sake of everyone else – don’t do it while driving. 

Eat junky, unhealthy foods, but do so in moderation lest your heart’s content eventually turns to discontent.

But may we always, ALWAYS, listen for that little voice of reason inside of us that whispers words of caution and conscience – sometimes far too softly – before we decide to do something tremendously and stupendously dumb. 


Happy trails!


Rabbi Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment